Why that name

Just a quick note - I chose this title for my blog because if any of you have tried to actually go up the down escalator it is a lot of work. When my son Simon was born, I was figuratively transported to the basement. I was struggling to find out what this meant for our family, and our future. I began a journey on that day, to go up the down escalator. I know it will always be a lot of work to keep going up, but that is what I have to do now to stay out of the basement. Simon has Down Syndrome, but I am choosing every day to make life normal for him and to help us get back to the ground floor. Anytime I forget the joy and stop moving forward, I find myself rapidly descending into the basement again. Thankfully I also have an emergency stop button. He is my Creator and my Father. The One who brings the despair to a standstill when I call on Him. He is my Rock and Refuge. The One I can run to when no one else understands. It may sound cliche, but it's true, I couldn't do any of this without God. He is the reason that some days I can still smile when things are ridiculous inside. That is why the name.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

21 reasons my son is awesome!

First I'd like to apologize for the delay in posting.  If you know me personally, you will understand why.  If you only know me through the blog, then you should have picked up on the fact that I was pregnant in my last post, and I am going to assume you are smart enough to know why I have not been keeping up.

Secondly, I would like to make a note, that the font that I am using is called, "Normal".  That' kind of ironic since my blog is about my son who is, by some definitions, not normal.

Anyway, back to the post.
I was washing the dishes and thinking to myself in the quiet peacefulness of evening.  I was thinking about all the reasons that Simon is awesome, and I'd like to share them with you.  Here we go!

1. He's my son.  (That one was easy!)
2. He is four years old and can still touch his right foot to his right armpit, and his left foot to his left armpit at the same time.  Try it!  (Call the chiropractor first.)
3. He says exactly what he is thinking.
4. He knows sign language.
5. He will sweep the floor for me.
6. He loves his family.
7. He sees something once, and it's in his memory.
8. He shows us how strong love can be.
9. He made me wait until he was almost three years old before he decided he would walk.
10. He gets to hang out with some pretty awesome therapists.
11. He is breaking stereotypes and expectations of what people think he can do.
12. He broke some hearts and fixed them with his love.
13. He breezed through open heart surgery.
14. He dances like no one's watching.  (And he has some amazing moves!)
15. He has taught me that I am stronger than I ever thought I could be.
16. He has taught me a new meaning of exhaustion.
17. He is teaching me how to be an advocate.
18. He has introduced me to strangers.
19. He has helped me make some wonderful new friends.
20. He is constantly teaching people that he will not be limited.
21.  He has three copies of his twenty first chromosome, and that makes him wonderful!

For the record, I could think of many more reasons Simon is awesome, but I'll limit myself to 21.  I have full intentions of continuing with part 2 of the conference at a later date.  Hopefully the date will still have the year 2014 attached to it.  :)

That's all for now,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment